scripted series lab
At the core of the Pacific Screenwriting Program is a full-time 14 – week curriculum that polishes and prepares candidates for an entry-level writer position on a series. Every term, up to six committed writers receive the necessary support to expand their portfolio and pursue opportunities in the evolving TV marketplace. Throughout the program, participants hone their craft, strengthen their collaboration and presentation skills, and obtain a deeper understanding of BC’s television industry and how to market themselves within it. Through workshops, events and mentoring, candidates will also be connected with key industry professionals, including senior screenwriters, producers, and agents.
September 21, 2018
January 7 – April 12, 2019
Application Fee: $25
Program Fee: $1,500
For the first 10 weeks of the program, participants will work as a team to develop an original series concept brought to the team by an established showrunner. In a collaborative story-room environment led by the showrunner and following a story room’s rigorous schedule—the writing team will build out the concept, ultimately arriving at a fully developed series package that is ready to present to broadcasters.
Original Series and Business of Writing
For the final four weeks of the program, working one on one with an experienced mentor, participants will develop their own original scripted television pilot script. During this time, through case studies, seminars, lectures, and workshops presented by industry professionals, participants will also be introduced to the business side of the industry—everything from marketplace trends to project pitching.
All complete applications submitted by the September 21th, 2018 deadline will be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of board members and industry experts.
Applicants who are not chosen to advance to the interview stage will be notified by email; unfortunately, we will not be able to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by phone to confirm their interview date and time. We will make every effort to conduct interviews in person; where this is not possible, interviews will take place via Skype/video call. After all interviews have been conducted, the selection committee will determine which candidates will be best suited to the program, and will notify all remaining candidates of their decision.
Please include the following, in PDF Format:
- Writing Sample: An original series pilot script (half-hour or one-hour comedy or drama) or feature script, properly formatted (cannot be co-written]
- Paragraph synopsis of the original series pilot or feature film script
- An original series synopsis for a TV idea not yet developed. You may submit more than one [up to two] synopses at a maximum length of two pages each.
- A letter of intent outlining what you hope to achieve by attending the program, both during the program and after
- A letter of reference from an industry professional
- Your resumé
- Completed application information
- $25 application fee (paid in the application form below with Stripe)
- You must be 19 years or older
- You must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- You must be a resident of British Columbia
- You must have completed some post-secondary training or have some work experience in the craft of writing. (This includes everything from a journalism degree to creative writing workshops.)
If you meet all of these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. To reflect BC’s rich diversity, we welcome applications from writers of all backgrounds.
Successful applicants who show proof of financial need may be eligible for tuition scholarships and/or travel bursaries (if you are from outside Greater Vancouver). Please indicate on your application form if you would like to be considered should you be successful.